Monday, June 10, 2013

The Hidden Things

I am realizing that parenting is an ever evolving and changing job.  As your children learn and develop, so does your job. The most recent ability she has learned, other than "Tippy Toeping" (tippy toeing) and hopping, is hiding when she has broken the rules. I found her doing something she was not supposed to be doing and she heard me coming towards her and proceeded to hide. It was partly hilarious and partly disturbing. 

I was quickly reminded of the story of Adam and Eve in the garden (Genesis 3). They had just eaten the fruit and were hiding from God. As I watched my daughter hiding in the corner face down with her hands covering her eyes, in my plain sight, I thought how silly this all was. I saw and knew what she did full well. Plus with my remarkable gift of sight, I could clearly see her hiding. This must have been the way God felt as he watched them break his rules. He saw them do it and hide from him. Just as he did, I asked her what she had done and brought this "secret" to the light.

I thought about all the things we do everyday, that we believe is in secret. You know the things you don't necessarily post on Facebook or Twitter. The things that may be considered "grey" areas in your mind, even though they are not in the mind of God. We hide such things from him, thinking in our little minds, that if we do it in the dark no one will know. Maybe sometimes we don't get caught, or maybe sometimes we don't get punished even though we are caught. It doesn't change the fact we broke the rules or that someone is watching. There is no hidden sin. It is all seen before the eyes of a loving and kind God. 

"For God will bring every deed into judgement, including every hidden thing, whether it is good or evil."  Ecc 12:14 

No comments:

Post a Comment